News | September 19, 2023 (Originally Published October 10, 2020)

School Safety Information & Updates

Get up-to-date information on schools that have temporarily ceased operations due to adverse weather, bushfire, emergencies or other incidents. For information about flooding in your area please check the NSW State Emergency Service website and ABC Listen app.

Catholic schools temporarily non-operational

No Catholic schools are currently non-operational.

Useful Flood Resources


Check the Bureau of Meteorology for NSW weather warnings and summary. 

Check out Live Traffic NSW for live updates, traveller information and personalised alerts for NSW roads.

Bushfire Recovery Assistance Resources

Immediate emergency assistance
can be accessed through Evacuation Centres and Disaster Welfare Assistance Points. Call 1800 018 444 or visit

Emergency Temporary Accommodation – short term housing support.
Contact the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322.

Clean-up assistance – for assistance to clean up homes damaged or destroyed by recent fires:
• Insured home owners – contact your insurance company or the Insurance Council of Australia on 1800 734 621.
• Uninsured home owners – contact Public Works Advisory on 1800 88 55 39.

Animal Welfare – provision of emergency fodder, stock water and stock assessment. Contact Local Land Services on 1800 814 647.

Commonwealth Government Disaster Recovery Payment – $1,000 per adult and $400 per child for people severely affected by bushfires.
Contact Human Services on 180 22 66.

Commonwealth Government Disaster Recovery Allowance – short term income assistance for people severely affected by bushfires.
Contact Human Services on 180 22 66.

NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants – financial assistance for eligible individuals who have low income and limited assets.
Contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.

Primary producer assistance – up to $15,000 recovery grants (33 LGAs only), concessional loans and transport subsidies for eligible primary
producers. Contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Small business assistance – up to $15,000 recovery grants (33 LGAs only), and concessional loans for eligible small businesses. Contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Legal assistance – Legal Aid can provide free assistance on issues such as insurance policies, employment, tenancy, credit and debt.
Contact LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.

Potable Water Assistance – replacement of potable water for residents not on town water supply where RFS has taken water or contaminated roofs with fire retardant. Contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.

Volunteer Firefighters’ Financial Support – payments for eligible volunteer firefighters who are self-employed or employed by a small or medium business and have lost income.
Contact Service NSW at

Sporting club assistance – concessional loans for eligible sporting clubs. Contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Church and non-profit organisation assistance – up to $15,000 recovery grants (33LGAs only) concessional loans for eligible churches and non-profit organisations. Contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Motor vehicle stamp duty relief – financial assistance for eligible motorists whose cars have been written off as a result of bushfires.
Contact the Office of State Revenue on 1300 139 814.

Replacement of documents – free replacement of licences, permits and certificates, including birth, marriage and change of name certificates and NSW Fair Trading permits and licences. Contact Service NSW on 13 77 88.

Waste disposal – the levy for waste disposal has been waived in bushfire affected LGAs. Contact your local council for more information.

Fires Near Me NSW

For information on bushfire incidents, check the NSW Rural Fire Service mobile apps.

Emergency + Smartphone App

For guidance about when to call Triple Zero and information about who to call in various non-emergency situations, check the Emergency+ smartphone app.

More Bushfire Information

For more bush fire updates, call the bushfire information line on 1800 679 737 or check the NSW Rural Fire Service:

You can also get information from your school, local radio, TV and newspapers or by contacting your local fire station.

Live Traffic NSW

Check Live Traffic NSW for updates on road closures and interruption to services.

Evacuation Centres

Find your local evacuation centres to access a range of support services available to those affected by the fires and arrange local support.

Weather Updates

For weather updates, check the Bureau of Meteorology:

Bushfire Smoke

With increased smoke across the state due to the current bushfires, we are focused on reducing the impact of the smoke on our students.
This includes moving outdoor activities indoors and may include cancelling outdoor events when the smoke is increased. Refer to the NSW Ministry of Health’s Bushfire smoke resources for information on what you can do to avoid or reduce the impact of bushfire smoke on your health.

If you have any questions, please talk to your local school.

Mental Health Support

Read the Australian Psychological Society Advice to assist parents, teachers and caregivers on the impact of bushfire trauma on children following recent fires and check out Headspace’s mental health support resource.

Mental Health Line – 1800 011 511

Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636

Lifeline – 13 11 14

Mensline – 1300 789 978

Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800

Income Support: for households affected by natural disasters:

A quick guide from the Australian Government. 

For Teachers

Read the ANU school recovery tool kit created by the Australian Child & Adolescent Trauma, Loss & Grief Network

Supporting children immediately after a disaster/traumatic event

Read the Emerging Minds community trauma toolkit created by the ANU Australian Child & Adolescent Trauma, Loss & Grief Network

NSW Police Force Child Safety Hub

A new edition of the child safety handbook is now available online with updated safety content.

We encourage all parents and carers to download this latest edition and discuss the safety content with your children.

Other Catholic School Agencies

Catholic schools in NSW operate under the auspices of one of the 11 diocesan Catholic schools offices or one of the 20 religious institutes or ministerial public juridic persons (PJPs). The contact details for these Catholic school agencies can be found below (or by key word search). The day to day operational responsibility, including the employment of staff, for Catholic systemic schools lies with the 11 diocesan offices and the individual school for ‘independent’ Catholic schools run by the religious institutes and PJPs. Concerns or questions should be directed to the relevant Catholic school agency or school in the first instance.

Contact your diocese for more information:

Diocese of Armidale

Diocese of Bathurst

Diocese of Broken Bay

Archdiocese of Canberra & Goulburn

Diocese of Lismore

Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle

Diocese of Parramatta

Sydney Catholic Schools

Diocese of Wagga Wagga

Diocese of Wilcannia Forbes

Diocese of Wollongong

More Information

For further information regarding emergency management, please contact Gerard Delany


p: 92871549

For media enquiries please contact the Catholic Schools New South Wales Public Affairs Unit

p: 9287 1530

For further information regarding student and staff wellbeing please contact Jennifer Coen


p: 9287 1555